“Imagine a world where your immediate space becomes your canvas…”
In order to receive my New Media Certificate upon graduation from the University of Georgia, myself, and three other incredibly talented seniors created an iOS and Android social media application. Our team saw the clear and unique void that exists in the social media space currently. All platforms now separate users from their reality. We wanted our app to use augmented reality to create an alternative space for interaction, bridging the gap between the digital world and the real world.
WHAT WE CREATED.
floatnote, as we branded it, when connected to a database, allows users to harness the power of augmented reality in order to leave virtual messages throughout their surroundings for other users in the app to discover. These messages are anonymous, allowing the opportunity for people to express themselves in a new way to an audience exclusive to their immediate space and free from fear of targeted judgment. These user-generated messages appear in the form of customizable balloons and are available within any physical space.
HOW IT WORKS.
The app opens with a view of the whimsical logo. The twee colored palette, featured throughout the app, adds to the fantastical feel of the user’s experience. The app moves into a camera view of the user’s location. Then, the user is prompted to place a balloon on any area of the screen and a keyboard is revealed in order to write a message. The user can choose a unique color for their balloon depending on their mood or preference. Once the balloon is placed, it lands approximately 50 centimeters in front of the user’s device at a height of 5’ 8’’. The floatnote is now public for the world to experience.
Unity game engine and Vuforia were used to build the app and Xcode was used to deploy it to a mobile device. The balloon image itself was created in Blender.
WHAT I DID.
I served as the head graphic designer and presentation specialist for our team. I designed the app’s logo, slogan, color scheme, screen presentation, wireframe, poster, one-pager and the majority of our in-class presentations. I had assistance with the some of the copy, but the creative elements were primarily me. I also delivered the final presentation for our class.
Examples of my work can be found below or on the team website: floatnote.mynmi.net.
WHAT I LEARNED.
Throughout the project, I increased my understanding of uniform brand development and management. It is more difficult than often appears to maintain a consistent brand identity. It requires proof-reading all materials not only for copy errors, but also brand errors such as letting and color inconsistencies.
I also learned that flexibility is something one must weave into any plan. This could take the form of allotting more time for what appears to be a routine procedure or in making designs more easily adaptable to last-minute changes. Because, even the best-laid plans of mice and men, fall through from time to time.